/*************BLOGROLLING STYLE******************/ /*************BLOGROLLING STYLE******************/

Raghu's NetLog

This is my personal weblog. There is no particular topic that I'm going to stick with. You can find articles about music, movies, technology, cricket, may be even little bit about politics. Please post your comments - good or bad. This will only encourage me in either way and improve my weblog.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Area Codes are Passé

Area Codes, Now Divorced From Their Areas (NY Times)

I remember when I first landed in US, I never bothered about the area codes whenever I took phone numbers from others who are local. This was then when I was in New Mexico state. The whole state had single area code, 505.
But, when I shifted to Bay Area, I had to give my area code even to my neighbour. While giving my number, I used to give only 7 digits. They go like "What's the area code?". And I was like, "What do you mean by what's my area code? I'm your neighbout damit..". But, then I slowly realized how area codes get changed in Bay Area from 650 to 408 to 510 to 425 to whatever. Now, for me a telehpone number is a 10-digit number.
After some time, I abandoned my landline and switched to cell phone totally. I have free roaming on my plan. So, I could recieve and make calls anywhere in the United States, well ofcourse, if my provider has the "signal strength". Making a local or long-distance call is same for me now. Previously, I used to make local calls from my landline. But, now since I threw it in trash, I'm totally dependent on cell-phone. Good part is I don't bother where I am calling now - to my neighbour or my friend in east cost - they are same. Well, the bad part is, I don't recieve calls for free. But hey, I'm area code free now.
But, with this VoIP technology, the meaning for area codes have changed totally. Now, I can be in San Jose, but have a New York phone number on my landline (well, yeah, it's VoIP, I meant landline as opposed to cell phone). What more, I could be in India and have San Jose phone number and my friends can call me as if I'm in United States and I can call them too. This is great. Hey, I like VoIP. Do you know what's even more cool?.... I can have a VoIP line here and have similar line with my parents (from same company though) and we can talk forever for free. Intra-carrier calls are always free irrespective of physical location for VoIP lines, atleast that's true for Vonage - my best choice.

3 Comments:

At September 17, 2006 at 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://zrzvivsv.com/fwjg/zeus.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://afjcdhxl.com/gzgv/fpvq.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At September 17, 2006 at 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At September 17, 2006 at 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://zrzvivsv.com/fwjg/zeus.html | http://twdeymfe.com/xxue/gbcy.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Visit My Current Blog!